My letter to Midge - What makes one website designer different from another?
Recently I was asked by a potential client about my pricing. Here was my quick email back to her.
Thanks for your email. I am certain you can find companies out there that will tell you they can do your website for less.
The questions to ask are:
- Are they comparing apples to apples when it comes to the number and complexity of pages you want on your site?
- Will the site be easily expandable in the future?
- What does the CMS dashboard look and feel like? Is it even included in that price? The dashboard is at the core of what you want from your design because you want to be able to go in and change dates and offers on your coupons, add pictures etc. without having to ask them to do it and be charged for their time.
- Do they include in that price a one on one teaching session to get you familiar with the dashboard and comfortable with the site?
- If your site is not optimized for SEO, and you lose a singe job because of that, is that worth the money saved up front?
- Do they take pride in their work and promise to stand behind their work and their services?
- Will they be available to you to answer the inevitable questions you will have free of charge?
- When the website is completed, will you own it? In other words if you decide to switch providers will they own the site or will you be able to take it anywhere you want to free of charge. Once you have paid us to build your site – it’s yours.
- Are they hosting you with a national company that has multiple servers and a top-flight reputation so that your site will never “go down”?
The truth is you can buy a Chevy to represent your business to the world, or you can purchase a Mercedes.
We produce top quality work that we are proud of. Every singe one of our customers becomes part of our family and how their website is working for them matters to us. We want every one of our customers to be able to tell others that they are completely satisfied with our work and recommend us to others.
As you can see, I am passionate about who we are and what we offer, and I’ll be happy to talk to you as much as you like in order to make a decision.
Hope this helps,