You Want to Be on Page 1 of Google - Who Do You Trust?
There is no getting around it. Digital marketing is a beast. The online world is complex and confusing and anyone who tries to sell you a simplistic answer – is bogus.
So how do you decide what SEO (digital) agency to hire? Here are some points to keep in mind:
- SEO is important. So do it. Digital marketing is about bringing you business.
- SEO takes time. SEO is a long-term investment. The value of SEO efforts is generally not realized for months after the initial effort is begun. SEO’s don’t have a magic wand so don’t expect any substantial near term gains.
- Rankings will change. SEO changes constantly so expect your search rankings to change as well. This is normal. You will see your rankings rise and fall with the algorithms and the entrance of new competitors. So keep monitoring your rankings but don’t obsess over short periods of time. Look for the long-term improvement.
- SEO firms are not all the same. There are a lot of folks calling themselves SEO agencies these days. Be careful here. Think of shopping for an SEO company like you shop for a financial advisor. It’s about finding the finest agency you can and planning a long-term partnership to keep your digital presence strong and sound.
- Hire an SEO agency. Not an “SEO guy”. If you are thinking, maybe I can save some money and do this myself or hire that guy at the coffee shop – think twice. Great SEO professionals are few and far between. Do your homework and hire a reputable firm. You will rest easier knowing other business owners trust them and you won’t need to worry if they’ll be around in a year or two (unlike the coffee shop dude).
Remember – your competition is playing on the same field you are and by the same rules of the digital marketing game. If you procrastinate, or invest unwisely, your competition will continue to gain ground. The eventual cost to catch up will be far greater than you can imagine.